Awards and Recognition
Volunteer Service Hours Pin
Each year, Service Hour Pins are awarded to volunteers in acknowledgement of their incredible contributions and service. Pins are awarded after a volunteer has completed 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000 hours. After 2000 hours have been completed, pins are awarded every additional 500 hours served.
The Gold Star Pin
Gold Stars are awarded to volunteers who have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Volunteers may be nominated by staff, patients, families, or other volunteers.
The Edith Amsden Award
Named for Edith Amsden who volunteered at Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital for over 45 years, the Edith Amdsen Award recognizes a commitment of time, and is given in recognition of extraordinary desire and ability to improve the quality of life for those in need.
Edith Amsden Award criteria
Volunteers nominated for this award set a high standard of volunteerism with their loyalty and dedication, which provides inspiration for other volunteers to follow.
- The nominee must have completed three or more years of volunteer service for Dartmouth-Hitchcock.
- The nominee must possess an outstanding commitment to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock community. This commitment may be demonstrated in a variety of ways, including an excellent attendance record, a willingness to give extra effort to duties and responsibilities, and exhibiting compassion and caring when working with patients, staff and visitors.
- The nominee must represent Dartmouth-Hitchcock's commitment to enhancing services to patients and their families.
- 2013 John Harrison
- 2012 Donna Cornelius
- 2011 Mary Turner and Shirley Reid
- 2010 Frank Logan
- 2009 Tracy Bleyler and Lauren Guay
- 2008 Anne Fair and Bob Bausch
- 2007 Pat Appleton
- 2006 Karen Terry
- 2005 Barbara Blough
- 2004 Adrien "Smitty" Smith
- 2003 "Bingo Bob" Kirk
- 2002 Juliet Grant-Suttie
- 2001 Hugh Watson
- 2000 Bill & Jean Hotaling and John & Mary Lincoln
- 1999 Polly Parkhurst
- 1998 Jackie Sices
- 1997 Foster Blough
- 1996 Dot Coutermarsh
- 1995 Polly Hebble
- 1994 Freda Stephens and Nancy King
- 1993 Sylvia Camp
- 1992 Kayo Sands
- 1991 Nancy Hart
- 1988 LifeLine Volunteers
- 1987 Mary Burke
- 1986 Grace Comans
- 1985 Elvie O'Hara & Elsie Wood