Skip to main content
Dartmouth-Hitchcock logo
Lights In This Section

FAQ: Internal Transfers

If you are a current employee of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, this information may be useful to you. If you are not a current employee of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, or are a temporary worker or traveler, please see FAQ: External Applicants.

How do I apply for a transfer?

Internal applicants can apply online. Be sure to apply as a current employee. View available positions and complete an online application and on our Search Job Listings page.

If I am working at Dartmouth-Hitchcock as a temporary (through agency) or traveler, do I apply as an internal transfer or an external applicant?

Since you are not an employee of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, you must apply as an external applicant. Please see FAQ: External Applicants for additional information.

Do I complete the entire application and submit a new resume, or do you keep that information on file from my previous application?

You should complete the application and attach your updated resume to include your most current position here. Your original application is part of your paper employment file that is kept in the Compensation/Systems department. All of our referrals are done electronically, and we want to be able to supply the hiring manager with your most current information.

How long do I have to be in my position before I can apply for a transfer?

The Dartmouth-Hitchcock transfer policy states that you must be in your position for at least one year. There are exceptions to this policy if your current supervisor is supportive of your request to transfer and provides Recruitment with a written statement supporting your application for transfer.

Will my current supervisor be contacted?

If you are successful in the interview stage, the hiring supervisor is responsible for contacting your supervisor pursuant to the Transfer Procedure. We encourage you to share your candidacy for a position with your current supervisor prior to the supervisor contacting you.

How much notice must I give my current department?

The transfer policy states that employees should generally provide at least two weeks notice for hourly employees, and at least four weeks notice for RN’s and salaried employees. Employees, as well as the hiring supervisor and current supervisor are requested to cooperate in establishing a transition that minimizes interruption to on-going operations in your current department. Transfers must take place at the beginning of a pay period, and this means that if notice is given during the first week of a pay period, the effective date of the transfer will generally be at least three weeks later.

Do I need to attend general orientation again?

No. Internal transfers are not required to attend general orientation.

Will I still be eligible for a full merit increase this year?

Yes. Your increase will be determined by your new department based on your performance in your new role. If increases fall very close to your transfer date, your previous department may be consulted.

Will my benefits change?

No. In most cases, you will remain with your current paymaster with the same benefits. There are a few exceptions depending on the department; however, benefits are the same for both hospital and clinic.

Contact Us