Where change happens
Health and wellness coaching is a cornerstone of the Lifestyle Improvement Program. We support individuals by helping them set and reach goals and connecting them with resources at work and in the community.
Health and wellness coaching is a free service provided to Dartmouth Health employees at the following locations and their significant others:
- Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital
- Cheshire Medical Center
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinics
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
- Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center
- New London Hospital
What is a Health and Wellness Coach?
Health and Wellness Coaches are experts trained in assisting individuals with their personal growth. Coaches:
- Work with individuals and groups using a client-centered process to develop and achieve self-determined goals related to health and wellness.
- Encourage clients to use their personal strengths and resources to set goals and determine the action steps necessary to meet those goals.
- Form partnerships with clients to offer guidance, tools and support to implement lasting personal health behavior change.
How does coaching work?
Most of our clients contact us directly. A medical referral is not necessary.
After you complete the Interested in Health and Wellness Coaching form, we'll match you with a coach and schedule a short "discovery" session (15 to 20 minutes) with your coach. During the discovery session, you and your coach will explore coaching services, personal interests and needs and other wellness resources. You and your coach will determine a plan of action based on your wants, needs and the best resources to support the process.
Interested in health coaching?
Coaches work with clients one-on-one, remotely (by telephone, video conference, or email) or in person. Initial sessions are generally 60 minutes with follow-up appointments about 30 minutes in length.
Note: Although there is no cost for you to participate in these programs via our Health and Wellness Coaching program, we've indicated the market value of each package if you were to seek this coaching elsewhere.
- This package includes 1 to 2 sessions with a coach who has expertise in the health and wellness areas of concern.
- A client’s questions are answered regarding their healthy lifestyle concerns in this consultative relationship.
- Market value: $100 to $300
- This package is perfect for the highly-motivated individual who feels confident carrying out a wellness plan independently.
- Generally done in weekly or bi-weekly sessions, this package includes developing and reaching goals for a focused target area.
- Market value: $600 to $900
- This is a longer-term, more intensive package that includes 7 to 12 sessions.
- Accountability and support are provided over the course of more interactions, solidly empowering the client to set and reach their personal wellness plan, while navigating the achievement of multiple, smaller goals to support the plan.
- Market value: $1,200 to $1,800
Health Screening package
This point-of-care screening includes measuring blood pressure, total cholesterol, HDL, blood glucose, and if desired, height, weight, and waist circumference.
- This is an in-person-only service provided at DHMC only, by appointment.
- This package is open to all staff with access to ManageWell®.
- Appointments generally take 20 to 30 minutes and clients are provided with in-office results.
- No fasting is required.
- Market value: $150 to $300
What to expect in a coach/client relationship
The coach will:
- Assist clients in identifying their vision/plan throughout the coaching process. They will encourage the client to set realistic expectations and goals and will provide guidance for navigating challenges.
- Offer advice and instruction, when appropriate, around fitness, nutrition, weight management, stress, mindset, and health.
- Acknowledge when the client has an issue that is out of the coach’s scope of practice and will recommend other opportunities and resources.
- Review with the client their progress at the conclusion of the chosen coaching package and make a recommendation to either conclude or renew the coaching relationship.
To maximize the experience of working with a Health and Wellness Coach, we expect that you will treat the coach/client relationship with the respect that you would any other professional consultative service. This includes:
- Completing and returning the Wellness Intake form before the first coaching session, as this is a critical tool used get to know you.
- Having the desire to improve your level of health, fitness, and wellness.
- Making a commitment to the process of change and be ready to invest the time.
- Being ready to take responsibility and strive to meet goals in at least one of the following areas of wellness:
- Exercise, fitness and movement
- Living with health risks or chronic conditions (for example, elevated blood pressure, blood sugar, or cholesterol)
- Nutrition and healthy eating
- Quitting tobacco and vaping
- Sleep health
- Stress management and self-care for resilience and decompression
- Weight management (non-diet approach)
- Being willing to review and consider resources, such as ManageWell®, Insight Timer @ Work©, Health screenings and assessments.
- Completing a post-engagement survey to provide feedback on your experience with the service.
Our Health and Wellness Coaches
- Kara Maville, M.Ed, AFAA, CHC
Health and Wellness Coach
Kara is a health and fitness enthusiast whose focus is to understand clients’ unique desires, motivators and challenges to reach wellness in a fun and flexible way.
- Pamela Tilton, RN, M.Ed, CHES, CHC
Health and Wellness Coach
Pamela's style of health coaching centers on a client’s comfort level using a whole-person holistic approach.
- Heather Wolfe, MPH, RDN, LD, NBC-HWC
Health and Wellness Coach
Foodie, master composter and cookbook author, Heather partners with you to make lifestyle changes with positivity, curiosity and mindful listening.
- Marion Cate, M.Ed, MCHES®, ACE-CPT, CHC
Lifestyle Improvement Program Manager
Marion works in a whole-person approach, centering on self-care and personal well-being for individuals and workgroups.
Our coaches hold active licenses and nationally recognized credentials.